Today was a great day! It reassures
my decision to go into teaching, which is always a good feeling. I got to do my science lesson in the kindergarten classroom I am in for one of my classes.
Before class, I had made three types of “fake” snow. One was made with
cornstarch and baby oil. Another was made with baking powder and water. The
third one was made with baking soda and hair conditioner. We compared our “fake”
snows to real snow, which I had also brought into the classroom. It was very
fitting since it was snowing outside as we were doing the lesson. I’ve never
seen kids so excited when they only saw the 6 ingredients sitting on the table.
The anticipation to play with it was something you could tell. I was surprised
to see some of the complex, really good descriptor words they came up with for
the look, smell, feel, and sound of the snows. When it came to playing is when
the real fun came in. The children loved playing in the different snows and
seeing what they could make with it. Although it was messy, they were messy,
and I was messy, it was still a lot of fun! I can’t wait to do more activities
with the students and plan fun activities for my classroom some day!
The thing you can do with simple applications of science are amazing. Science was never my best subject in school but it was always the most fascinating. It also seems to be the most practical. We're surrounded by so many examples of it every day that we don't even think about it as much as we probably should. I would be more impressed, though, if you could demonstrate a way to make the snow STOP since I think we've had enough for one year.
ReplyDeleteI'm in agreement with Ryan, here. I can remember vividly the science lessons I had as a small child that were hands-on. Those lessons made a difference in the way I saw the world, as well as the ways that doing science could open up the world. Go you!
ReplyDelete