This week was my first two days of my lab hours for my
Kindergarten Methods and Materials class. I can happily say I wasn’t nervous to
start these hours as I used to be very nervous being in someone else’s
classroom. The supervising teacher I have is so great! She included me in many
of the activities while I was there and gave me some great ideas of what to do
for my other lessons. The children were also very excited to see me and know
that I’m coming 2 times a week during the month of February. It was nice to
make connections to their older siblings or even moms that I work with over at
the high school. I even did one of my own lesson ideas on Thursday this week.
They were talking about the post office and what a mailman does, so I created a
little game where they got to become mailmen and mail ladies of course. The
idea switched a little bit with each group that came because I realized it was
just too much to have them each sort their own box. By the end, we sorted, then
as a group found the matching alphabet letters. They were also telling me words
that started with the letter they chose to find. They still loved the game and
it was still a good one, even though it wasn’t my original intention, but as
they say you need to be flexible and I really was that day. Being in this
classroom again reassures my career path decision, which is great, and I can’t
wait to finish my hours and spend more time with the children.
Great post, Amber. My mom has been a teacher her entire career and has spent a significant amount of that time as a substitute. She always says that she enjoys subbing the most because it allows her to work with kids all over the district regardless of age. It also keeps things interesting to be able to rotate classrooms, switch up lesson plans, and meet new kids. It's great that you enjoy what you do. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDelete